Thursday, March 15, 2007

The work begins

I now have gotten over the shock of the moment. My car is in the garage and it is in need of major TLC if I am going to get it on the road anytime soon. I started with the easy stuff. I had removed the hood hinges prior to moving the car over to the lot next door (redneck anti theft) and I never saw any evidence that it was tampered with for the 18 months it was over there. I removed the hood and started removing the dead blackberry vines that had grow into everything.
Next I filled a bucket with hot soapy water and started scrubbing the car from top to bottom. I had to get all of the green algae off of the car to see just how bad the paint was. I see that there are some chips and bubbles that will need to be dealt with but no serious cancer.
After the outside was cleaned I jacked up the car, removed the headers and starter in preps for pulling the engine. I have removed all but the heads and block itself so that I can track down all the codes I need to properly identify it. While I had the car in the air, I took the front tires off and gave them a serious scrubbing.
The last few days I have been removing moldy bits of the interior and evaluating whether the plastic pieces are salvageable. I think that I can keep most of the plastic trim, but all the carpet and upholstery is trashed.

No comments: