Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Spring has sprung!

Some new things have happened in recent weeks. I have started poking and prodding, trying to gauge what kind of work I need to do. I have partially torn down the engine, researched the codes and identified it as a 1965 cast 396 Chevy 325HP motor. The heads were 98cc oval port iron heads from 1966. It was a fun engine that I hate to part with but I have no use for it as of now. If I can hold on to it, there may be another project I can put it in like a '56 Chevy for the wife.
I removed all the wheels and took them out front for a good scrubbing. Having that laundry sink in the garage is awesome. I can thread a hose onto the sink and turn the tap to warm. It really makes any washing project nice in any weather. The wheels are still kinda cruddy, but at least the tires are black again.
The rear wheels are still off the car as I need to rebuild the rear drums. Yeah they are still going to be drums for now. I will eventually put 4-wheel power disc brakes on the car, but now is not the time. The last few parts needed for this are on order and I should get into building them in a week or so.
My engine build has also gotten out of a stalled condition. After doing a quick side job for a friend, I have enough funds to order the last few parts I need for the engine. Those were a neoprene rear main seal, timing cover alignment bushings, timing cover to intake bolt, and a new set of head gaskets. When all of that arrives, I can start final assembly and prepare to install the motor in the car.
I still need to pull the old engine out, pressure wash the engine compartment, and detail it before putting the new engine in. I might even have to find a new radiator support, this one looks a little rough.
I also have started tearing into the interior. I evicted the mice (all 5 of them) with mouse traps baited with peanut butter. The seats have been removed, and the drivers seat is in for a re-upholster session. The carpet and headliner will round out the gotta-do list before I take the car out for engine break-in runs. The car has really suffered being out in the weather for eight years, and I hope there is not too much horror waiting for me.
On a side note, I have added to the tool collection. I found a ring compressor and a beam-type torque wrench 0-150 ft-lbs for a buck each at a yard sale. I have a clicker type torque wrench already and will use both of them for the engine assembly. Still need seal pullers, engine hoist, timing light and such. All in due time...